About the job
Environmental Officer – Development, Dubai
ENGIE group is a global reference in low-carbon energy and services. Together with our 96,000 employees, our customers, partners and stakeholders, we are committed to accelerate the transition towards a carbon-neutral world, through reduced energy consumption and more environmentally friendly solutions. Inspired by our purpose (“raison d’être”), we reconcile economic performance with a positive impact on people and the planet, building on our key businesses (gas, renewable energy, services) to offer competitive solutions to our customers.
ENGIE’s Business Unit for the Asia Middle East and Africa (AMEA) region is headquartered in Dubai. The region has activities in large scale power generation, water desalination, district cooling, energy solutions and renewables including green hydrogen, wind and solar. We act throughout the value chain: strategy, design, engineering, energy-efficient asset construction, digital platforms, operations management, financing syndication and outcome assurance. And, by using globally leading technologies, we create innovative energy and smart solutions that help to make the world a better place..
As an Environmental Officer specializing in project development, you will play a pivotal role in ensuring that our projects adhere to social and environmental regulations, sustainability standards, and industrial practices from developmental stage to commissioning stage covering desalination, battery energy storage, thermal power plant, wind, solar and hydrogen projects. You will collaborate closely with technical project managers, business developers, engineers, consultants and regulatory bodies to assess and mitigate potential environmental impacts, contributing to the overall success of our future projects.
The Environmental Officer reports to the Deputy Head of Engineering and Technical Support in Dubai and will be liaising with Engie CSR department.
- Monitor and oversee environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs), site assessments, and other environmental studies conducted during project development.
- Ensure that all environmental studies adhere to local, regional, and national environmental regulations and standards.
- Work closely with techncial project managers (TPMs), engineers, and environmental consultants to facilitate seamless integration of environmental considerations into project plans.
- Recommend the steps and action plan to address socio-environmental concerns during development stage
- Assist in stakeholder engagement activities, providing technical expertise and addressing environmental concerns raised by environmental agencies, and government bodies.
- Review and maintain accurate records of environmental studies, ensuring compliance with reporting requirements. Assist in the preparation of reports and presentation for regulatory authorities.
- Support the development and implementation of environmental management plans (construction and operation) based on the findings of environmental studies and local environement authorities requirement (out of ESIA approval process).
- Collaborate with project teams to integrate sustainable practices into project development, ensuring that environmental considerations are embedded in project plans.
- Contribute to the development and coordination of emergency response plans for environmental incidents (during construction and operation phase of a project)
- Contributes to project technical definition at an early development stage on related environmental matters.
- Manages/Reviews all project related studies during bidding/development phase till hand-over to execution: pre-feasibility studies (if any), feasibility studies (if any), , resources survey and assessment, re-circulation studies, ESIA studies…
- Leads the qualification and selection of environmental consultants: ESIA consultant as well as any consultant hired for preliminary environmental assessment.
- Together with the Technical Project Manager liaise with the Lender’s Advisor toward financial close to address all environmental concerns from the lenders related to the Equator principles, work bank and IFC guidelines.
- Reviews the technical proposals of EPC contractor on any potential environmental impact for instance related to the marine works (eg. intake and oufall for the desalination project) .
- Participate in the internal approval process (for Bid submission including Construction, Technical and O&M) until Financial Close on any matter related to the environment.
- Provides support to construction and operation activities on the permitting process and all the related monitoring activities on the environmental aspect.
- Training Support: Assist in organizing and conducting training sessions for project teams to enhance awareness of environmental best practices and compliance requirements.
- Performs Technology watch.
- Frequent travels.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, Environmental Engineering, or related field.
- Previous experience in environmental monitoring, particularly in a project development context.
- Up to date on environmental laws, regulations, and standards.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Effective communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to collaborate within a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in water or desalination projects, battery energy storage system, solar or wind and green hydrogen is a plus.
- Experienced in interfacing with BD team, legal team, finance team, construction team, operation team.
- Organized, rigorous, ability to step back.
- Inter-functional, intercultural, and interpersonal facilitation skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Languages: fluent English. Arab and/or French is a plus.
- Dubai HQ.
Field: Engineering and Technical Support (ETS) team
Job Level: TBC
Primary Location: UAE, Dubai