About the job
Summary Responsible for leading the planning, designing and modelling of the distribution network 33kV and downstream including the smart meters in order to ensure an economic, efficient, reliable and 100%renewable power supply for NEOM. Analyze the power demand and network capacity requirements to facilitate decision making for new investments. Act as Technical Leader to provide engineering assistance for planning and development of the NEOM100% underground and automated distribution system as well as enabling the integration of current and future renewable low carbon technologies. Manage the processes and/or staff in an Engineering service delivery stream, within the appropriate DSO Planning business area, to support the continual development of the NEOM network, its operation and the overall asset management strategies. Key Accountabilities And Responsibilities Distribution System Development & Management
- Responsible for development, implementation, and communication of NEOM’s long term network
development plan consistent with sound asset management principles. This includes growth, renewal, reliability, compliance and maintenance plans to ensure the long-term sustainability, security, operability, reliability and effective utilization of the electricity assets within a safe, reliable and commercially viable network consistent with DSO License Conditions and other KSA requirements.
- Responsible for all DSO system planning documentation including standards, guidelines, and policies for use by all parties involved in designing, constructing, maintaining, and operating the NEOM distribution network. Also assisting in developing the regulations with various internal and external stakeholders including the Energy regulator.
- Act as Technical Leader enabling the Planning team to support project-specific design reviews and ensure project compliance with the relevant NEOM technical documentation while allowing innovative solutions and modelling of the distribution grid as an interactive, AI-managed optimization platform (potential for grid of microgrids) at the lowest cost.
- Develop and ensure compliance with distribution system planning code and security standards for network planning.
- Assist in liaison with other distribution departments in order to help and assist on network proposals not limited but including related to bulk load requests, load transfers, load balancing.
- Responsible for the development and execution of the short and long term DSO Investment Pan including preparation of pre-investment appraisal documents, unit cost databases masterplans and network development strategies as required.
- Responsible for establishing and executing the DSO load forecasting discipline and stream contributing to the effective DSO network development.
- Lead and assist in establishment of smart grid system including but not limited to smart metering, distribution automation and/or similar systems like digital twin.
Distribution System Implementation and Analysis
- Responsible for creation/execution of the DSO power system modelling department strategy including tool selection, process developments, modelling guidelines and execution.
- Lead and undertake system modelling – power flow, short circuit analysis and power quality to come up with solutions/strategies for improving system parameters like voltage, power distribution, connection and power factor.
- Responsible for creation of power quality and network reliability streams for delivery.
- Undertake and implement market research and contribute to engineering research, innovation, design and the determination of cost & risk-based recommendations for the ongoing functioning of the grid.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Drive high level of safety performance by clearly articulating the requirements for safety in design and construction methodologies relating to the DSO system as well as reporting.
- Contribute to delivery of the company’s engineering risk management plan in conjunction with other Energy branches, particularly as applicable to the management of risk within the technical documentation and other output of the system planning division.
Training and Development
- Contribute to development of training requirements and technical skills of others within DSO/Energy.
Background, Skills Technical skills:
- Minimum of 12 years of professional experience including management in power sector with at least 8-10 years’ experience in DSO system planning.
- Proven experience in the establishment and management of standards and policies for design,
construction, operation and maintenance of electrical LV and MV automated distribution systems, preferably with a high proportion of renewable energy resources involved.
- Proficient in one of the power system simulation tools such as PSSE, DIgSILENT or ETAP.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to both grid innovation and its practical implementation is paramount in to deliver a stable, cost-effective distribution grid based on 100% renewable power.
- Experience in leading small teams as technical supervisor including highly developed interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills.
- Proven track record of delivering outcomes with strong ability to prioritize tasks in a highly dynamic and changing environment, with a focus on efficiency, enhanced multitasking abilities, combined with a “can-do” mentality are essential.
- Experience in financial evaluation, work practices, risk management, statutory and regulatory
compliance. Strong innovation drive towards automated and AI-led platform technologies.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills, including planning, organizing and directing work in a collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Power and Electrical Engineering.
- MBA/Postgraduate training in Power Engineering, Business, Asset or Project Management is preferred.